Friday, October 28, 2011

Yoo 200 - On Kyooyoo


Being the 200th post on this blog, I figure it's time I explain something.

THE TITLE OF MY BLOG!

Is Kyooyoo.

And that generates some questions.

Like what is that?  And how do you say it?  And why?

Well, I'll get into the what.  And how to pronounce it.  And do I really have to answer the why question??  (*whiney voice*)  I kind of hate why questions.  And I don't know why!  Mostly because they are not always easy questions to answer.  Also, maybe it's because there's no real concrete answer and if there is an answer it can change.  AT.  ANY.  TIME.  Yes, there is a time and a place for why.  And sometimes I do try to answer the question.  When it's important.  But my answers aren't usually very deep.  Or easy to put into words.  And my brain hurts a little more after the attempt.  So I'll leave the good why answers to the good why answer-ers and just answer you this why:

Because I needed a name for my blog.

Period.  Ok not period.

I needed a unique name.  And probably one kind of quickly.  Because I'm not usually patient.  And I was probably perusing the dictionary like I often do (not really) and saw that the letter Q looked really funny in the pronunciation section.  And then (naturally) I noticed the U pronunciation was spelled JUST LIKE IT (without the k, obviously).  And then my sleep-deprived, procrastination-proned college brain probably thought "hehe, that looks funny".  And then it probably thought "hehe, that sounds funny".  And then the little "I need a name for my blog" thought-neuron floating around collided with the "hehe, kyoo and yoo look and sound funny" thought-neuron.  And BAM!  (all Emeril-like, yeah).  I had a name for my blog.  And a pseudonym.  Cause those were cool back then, don't you know?

But!  Just for kicks and giggles (because who doesn't giggle when they kick?  Or kick when they giggle?).  I came up with a kind of deep and philosophical (for an IT major!) reason for this title choice.

So it seemed a little more meaningful than "hehe, that looks funny...AND sounds funny!".

Because no brainchild (or blogchild?) wants to claim those kind of inception parents.

Continuing on!

Let's say it.  It's really not as weird as it looks!  Like the letter "Q" and the letter "U".  Now together!  "Kyooyoo."

"Kyooyoo."

Good.  No with some gusto!

"KYOOYOO!"

Fun, right?  Ok, maybe not.

But look at the letters.  How cool is the letter Q??  It's unique, fun to write, and worth 10 points in Scrabble.  Enough said. 

But it's kind of less effective by itself.  Lets face it, how many words can you spell with just Q?  A few hundred.  Give or take a few hundred.  And they're mostly not words at all.  But if you add the letter 'U'....oh the POSSIBILITIES!  Mathematicians get their quadratic and athletes get their quadriceps and babies get their quilts and people get their quirks and nutritionists get their quinoa!  The world is a better place!

And that's how I feel.  Kind of like the letter Q.  Unique.  Fun.  Worth (at least) 10 points in Scrabble.  I just love my person!  (In the most humble of ways, of course).  But I'm really less effective by myself.  And being kind of an introvert, I need to remind myself of this.  I'm better with my U's.  I need them.  Life is better when I recognize them and reflect on them and share them.

What are they?

Some come and go.  Some last longer than others.  But there are always U's enabling me.  Right now I can list work and San Antonio and running and triathlons and Bear and my condo and the French Horn and my family and my faith as some of my big and most favorite U's.  But there are so many others to choose from as well!  And what better way to capture and preserve them than in writing and pictures?

And now that I came up with all that, I just realized I've been titling my posts wrong.  I'm Kyoo.  The posts are my yoos.  I guess Imma need to change the post titles from here on out to reflect that...

So there!  My title is more pertinent than it looks.  This blog is Kyoo writing about all her yoos.  The fun and the silly and the "that's life".  So don't take me too seriously.  Laugh with me.  Shake your head in embarrassment.  Feel sorry for those that have to put up with me.  And most importantly...

Have a great day :-)


No comments: