Sunday, November 13, 2011

Yoo 207 - The night of Brahms and the $3 Sprite

Three dollars.  $3!  For a 12 oz cup.  Filled mostly with ice.  And no refills.  Did my budget brain almost aneurysm?  Did I calculate how many 12 oz cans I could buy on sale at HEB with $3?  Short answer:  yes.

But we were trying to blend with the "high-rollers".


I got lucky and won symphony tickets at work this week.  Actually, it was kind of pathetic.  I was the first person to respond to the email asking if anyone was interested.  Which means a few things.  For one, I was sitting at my desk.  Which is the non-cool because if you're really popular you'll be in meetings all day.  Missed that train!  For two, I clicked right on that Outlook popup.  Easily distracted are we?  Oh the excitement!  Email!  Even though work email is frequent and not all that exciting.

But this time was different.  Because of my neurotic clicking of the Outlook popup thingy, I got the tickets.  Boo-yah!

And also the shame of responding to an email two seconds after it was sent.

Moving on.



So the tickets were in the "Starlight Suites" (valet parking included, ba-zing!) which gave us access to the "exclusive" Starlight Lounge area.  See exclusive, read expensive.  But we had to check it out, and let me just tell you, holy macaroni a real-life one of these things is not like the other one!

We were all of 50 years younger (apparently it's not cool to go to the symphony if you're under 75?  is that just in San Antonio??).  The Gregman should have been wearing a tux.  And I should have pulled out my diamonds.

But it was kind of one of those gotta "walk the walk" moments, so we went with it and acted all "yes we've been here before who are you?".  By buying a $3 sprite, of course (at a full-service bar...).

("Psst.  Can we leave now?  I think we've made our impression...")

Did I mention it was at The Majestic Theater?  It was there.  And I love that theater.



It's all sorts of ornate.  The ceiling is painted like the sky and lit up with twinkling stars.  There is exquisite detailing tucked into every wall and nook and cranny.







The box office could be home to a miniature carousel (please tell me you look at this picture and see rainbows...).



And there are just balconies and bells and peacocks and plants and naked ladies displayed in grand 'ol fashion.

And a symphony too.


The symphony.

Was Brahms Sings.  And first, let me preface this by saying that the San Antonio Symphony did an excellent job.  They are a professional group and it shows in the quality of their performance.  The choir too.  But I decided Brahms is not my cup of tea.  At least not on a late Friday evening after a very long Friday day.

I was stee-rug-guh-ling through that entire second half.  Actually, that's a lie.  I quit the struggle during the third movement of the piece and dozed off on Bear's shoulder.  (all the while having very strange dreams that first were narrated by a booming tenor voice and then a soprano.  coincidence?).  I came to just in time for the seventh movement, quite confused as to how the concert was nearing an end.

"It might have something to do with you being passed out for 40 minutes."

The Gregman.  What a champ.

He was also a champ when I spilled my ice all over the floor of the suite.  Oopseh!  But it's all good because just a few minutes later another lady spilled her ice too and we became friends and it was suddenly the cool thing to spill your ice.

The final chord rung (rang?) strong from the stage.  Hung.  The conductor stood motionless for one...two...three...four...("this is a really long pause" looks exchanged)...five...six...seven...("can we clap yet" looks exchanged)...eight...nine...ten...eleven...("they're done, right?" looks exchanged)...twelve...thirteen...("really?"  looks exchanged)...fourteen...("act like you're reflecting on the music!" looks exchanged)...fifteen...sixteen seconds.

Clappity-clap-clap.  Encore!  Clappity-clap-clap-clapping.  "Let's beat the throng".

And we rushed down to claim the car.  Though I realized that wasn't entirely necessary because, remember, the majority of the throng was in their 70s.

The symphony is a fun night out, really, especially at The Majestic, but maybe not when you're super sleepy and they're performing Brahms.

Have a great day :-)


No comments: