Monday, February 20, 2012

Yoo 284 - When I Decided to Not Take My Phone to Church

First, this sign:


It's posted all over town right now and when I initially saw it I thought "Carmen Sandiego...she's in San Antonio!"


It took me a couple seconds...not quite the same...but almost. I still get excited every time I see it. Which, if you're going for name recognition, is effective. At least, when it comes time to voting, I'm sure I'll recognize her name and probably vote for her just because I don't recognize the names of anyone else on the ballot.

Their signs don't trigger happy memories of childhood TV shows.

Second, remember my *new* redneck phone and how excited I was about the possibility of this whole year together? With no money out of pocket??

Yeah, that's not going to happen.

It's on the fritz and needs constant supervision now.

Exhibit A

The phone was resting on my bathroom counter. The shower was running. I stepped out of the shower only to realize that my phone had dialed and been connected to a work contact (that just left the company on Friday) for all of 54 seconds.

Awkward.

I panicked and hung up. You know, to avoid the "Hey Fred...just calling to see how the unemployed life is....shower? No, you didn't hear a shower..." conversation.

Kind of glad I don't have to face him today.

And that I wasn't singing at the time...

Exhibit B

The phone was resting on my desk. It was "asleep" and set to "silent". All of a sudden it buzzed to life and spontaneously announced:

"Now playing songs by Pink"

 And proceeded to blast "Don't Let Me Get Me".

Ask me the last time I've ever played Pink? [I can not tell you.]

That's when I decided my phone would NOT be going to church with me yesterday. It behaves like a small puppy. I can't control it! And I didn't want to be the one accidentally adding a soundtrack of "Flying Purple People-Eater" to the Sacrament.

(what? you don't have that song on your ipod? crying shame.)

This phone is seriously possessed. And it's not Siri. It's "Voice Control". I need to turn this alleged "Voice Control" off.

I've been keeping the whole thing shutdown but when I do have to turn it on, it's just a few seconds before it starts switching between all my apps and then calling random contacts. I have accidentally called no less than 5 people today. That I know of. And when it's not doing that it insists on playing "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" by Tears for Fears on repeat.

What is my phone trying to tell me??

I'm ready to fork out the money and buy a new one. At least I can laugh about it now.

Happy Monday!

Have a great day :-)


1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

You found her! In San Antonio!!

Good work, gumshoe.