Sunday, March 11, 2012

Yoo 300 - Life Is Better At The Beach

I'm coming off of a beach weekend (and a phase 10 loss but that's another story...dang it) which has a way of making me more susceptible to the Sunday Evening Blues.


I had an Institute teacher tell me once that if you have the Sunday Evening Blues then your perspective on life is incomplete. I agree with him, and I will readily admit I am not there yet. Isn't that one of the biggest challenges in life? Finding gratitude and joy in all you have and not fixating on what you lack?

I will be waking up tomorrow in a big, comfortable bed, safely tucked away in a condo that I own, fully and truly. I will hop on my bike with my healthy body and pedal my way on (mostly) safe city streets, probably listening to the birds chatter and watching an exploding sun bid hello to a characteristically warm spring day. I will work the day away for a company that legitimately cares about its customers and employees and with coworkers I enjoy being around. I will be leaving the office with no where I have to rush off to. I can enjoy a vigorous afternoon of lifting weights and then jogging into a sunset. I can return to my condo and enjoy and prepare dinner and chat with my Gregdude and blog my typing fingers away.

Now tell me, is that a life to be blue about??

It's not. Yet I sit here with the impending week looming above my head like unsettling gray clouds, daydreaming about what could be.

Like a beach. I mean, who doesn't want to be gently lifted from sleep in a white linen bed by the whisper of a sea breeze, rustling curtains, and the penetrating warmth of sun beams soaking the air. Rising just enough to stretch the sleep away, and then settling back down, bearing a smile with ease. There is no life-sucking job to rush off to. There are no errands that need run. There is no to do list. There's just the people you love and the time you want to spend with them.

But really, I could create moments like that everyday if I had the right perspective and set my priorities straight. It just seems so much easier to do that on the weekends than it does on the weekdays...

So, without further ado, snippets of my quickest of quick, rainiest of rainiest, bliss fullest of blissful weekend at the beach.



There was an oyster recycling effort in full force at my favorite fishing pier. The Alishafriend did some digging and we're pretty decided on going back to help. I'm under the impression that chilling in waders whilst passing bags of oyster shells back out to the ocean would be a pretty cool way to spend a morning, would you agree?


(holy bottle of cholula sauce, am i right??)


(that, my friends, is a listing of all of their cheesecake flavors. just imagine!)





Visiting Jama's Kitchen is as much a part of the Whooping Crane Strut tradition now as running the race itself. This place wraps me up with its eclectic froggy decor and amorphously shaped dishes. The Ruben sandwhich ties the knot. We almost cried (cried!) when we walked up to their old location to peer thru dusty doors and see nothing but empty space and loose hardware casually abandoned on the bright pink and green and purple walls. Oh the tragedy of seeing our favorite lunch spot out of business!

But then we did some investigating (in the form of the Alishafriend talking to a stranger...naturally...) and discovered that they had simply moved to a location just a few blocks away. The trek was well worth it, though I miss their old location.



(we're still undecided as to what i am in this picture...the parrot's bum??)


(the gregjockey triumphantly perched upon his bedazzled zebra...ctrl + prnt scrn while you can...i might be forced to take this one down...)

Most of the fun of Rockport is in roaming the streets and visiting all the shops. The buildings are painted in the boldest of bright colors and pizazz is generously sprinkled about in the details. Boats are tied to docks within reaching distance from the sidewalks and bait shops line the bay, boasting all forms of fishy allure. The waves lap gently against the small seawall, seagulls and cranes graze about, and, ever so often, a fish will break thru the surface tension with a gentle plop!

Did I mention palm trees??

They melt me! That's all I can say about that.


("with our powers combined...")

Do you love our $2 bracelets?? They were selling them at the campsite, of all places! Oh we fell in love with them! At least 2 dollars in love with them. I don't think I would have spent much more. Mine's an engraving of the "Big Tree" at the park that is said to be the biggest Live Oak in Texas and over a thousand years old.

It's pretty cool.

While it wasn't the normal "beach weekend" with towels and sunscreen and lazing on the sand and drowning in the waves, it was relaxingly adventurous and right where I wanted to be. Unlike work tomorrow...

I'll post an official "race recap" as soon as results are posted.

Have a great day :-)


No comments: