Sunday, March 25, 2012

Yoo 310 - Race Recap: Lyndon B. Johnson 100

It's fast Sunday and since I'm fantasizing about food and blogging in an attempt to keep myself out of the kitchen until church begins (i have mixed feelings about afternoon church...), let's review. On Saturday morning I ate:
  • 3 1/4 peanut butter and jelly sandwiches
  • 2 packages of GU chomps
  • 7 orange quarters (you do the math)
  • 1 banana
  • 1 Stinger honey waffle (sooo good those are)
  • 6 vanilla creme sandwich cookies
  • a raisin
 In between that gorge fest I also biked 85 miles.


And worked on my tan lines. They're progressing quite nicely. Neapolitan legs? Back in style here.


When I signed up for this bike tour, I really had no intention of biking the 85-mile route. There were 10-mile and 20-mile and 30-mile and 42-mile and 62-mile options, as well.

I've never biked more than 30 miles in one day so 42 seemed like a manageable stretch goal.


SALAD.


But it was perfect biking weather and there's this little voice always screaming in my head that I'm convinced hates me. Yesterday it was all nagging like "Why can't you go 85-miles? Where else do you have to be? That lady's biking the 85-mile route and she's at least 40 years older than you. It'll be like you're cheating yourself if you don't at least try...". 


It's really the most ridiculous, irrational of voices. Yet it won again.

You know what else is ridiculous? The fact that I bought cycling gloves specifically for this bike tour, the night before, and then forgot them yesterday.

These were beautiful, gel padding in the palms, and everything else that is goodly and lovely about cycling gloves, gloves.

My hands were so tired. My whole body was so tired of being on that bike. But especially my hands. Oh how I wanted those gloves!


HILLS.


Was the narcissistic Kyoo in love with the fact that they printed her name on the bib??

YES.

That one's going in the keepsake folder.


Sometimes I wish I could turn that voice off. And sit on the couch on Saturdays watching Netflix.

But then I'd miss out on fields of bluebonnets and port-a-potties and the camaraderie of 1500 bike nerds.


And driving on RESTRICTED tarmac on Lyndon B. Johnson's presidential ranch (now a National Park).



Next time you're looking for a fun, well-supported bike tour in the Hill Country: LBJ 100.

Have a great day :-)


No comments: