Monday, March 24, 2014

Yoo 596 - White-Water Rafting and Eileen Collins

My dog has suffered so I could bring these photos to you from my old 'n slow computer. He keeps changing positions in the room so he can make better eye contact. Sad puppy eye contact. Then there's the whimpering. He wants to go outside. I'm expecting him to engage crazy dog and charge me at any minute. But if I didn't get this started it was never going to get done!

We took too many photos and sorting thru and picking favorites is just daunting. Especially on the old 'n slow computer.

Here are the super keepers and some narration from the first couple days:


Eight-hour layover in Mexico City. We got some pesos and set out to conquer the city, by bus. Greg and I had both been there but our memories were hazy. Our first stop was the Zocalo but we never found it and instead wandered around a different cathedral and found dinner. And got rained on.



Fresh coconut water! From what looked like really old coconuts...


This was delicious. I can't pronounce the name. Or spell it. But I'd probably recognize it on a piece of paper. I want more!


Still Mexico City.


Ok. Now Ecuador.


I'm trying to find the bus stop AND eat breakfast (trail mix) AND breathe. I wasn't gasping for breath, but I could feel the altitude (9,350 feet. ish.), especially while not sedentary.


Biggest bag of animal crackers I ever did see. Especially random for the grocery store we were in.


 Coke with every meal. It kills all the things!


Tickets to the circus! One of the most memorable experience was getting in to the circus. It was a cattle herd except humans up on humans. I hadn't showered in two days and had spent the majority of the afternoon hoofing it around the steam bath that is Tena, carrying my huge pack and trying to find a hostel. I was thinking "please don't judge all Americans based on my lack of personal hygiene right now".


Greg showing off our dog sledding pictures to some kids at the circus. The circus! We couldn't take any pictures but it was the best three dollars spent. Actually it was four dollars because Alisha paid an extra dollar so we could get the good seats. They just do the craziest stunts without any safety measures.


Home our first night. Ten dollars per person. Private bathroom and two fans! Lots of street noise and a big ol' window right in the shower. There was nothing you could do except flash people and rinse really fast.


Taking refuge from a sudden downpour.


Our hostel the second night was definitely a step up. Still ten dollars but with this awesome view and a super accommodating owner. I can't say enough good things about Limoncocha.


We found this place after settling in at our first hostel. Walked over that afternoon and had a white-water rafting trip booked for the next morning. Decided right then that we would definitely be switching hostels!



We're going rafting in the Amazon! Excpet not ON the Amazon. On the Jatunyacu, if you can pronounce that. 



Greg! Not in front of the kids!


We understood very little Spanish but our guides pointed out this steep slide and we were pretty sure that we wouldn't actually be riding the raft down it but not 100% sure and it was stressful. Glances were exchanged.


This was shortly after Greg had earned himself the nickname of "Puma". For asking what could be debated as a stupid question about pumas in the jungle. 




The water was cold.



We conquered this rock. And then they made us jump in the water. Alisha peed and then spent the rest of the trip worried about that spiny fish that supposedly swims up your urethra and gets much larger. Also, we could NOT get back in the boat. There was nothing graceful about either of us in life jackets and a raft.




Is it just me or does Greg look like he's belting out the chorus of "Hakuna Matata"?


Lunch! Delicious and expertly displayed on banana leaves. The best part was when the guides were telling us that we had to eat more and Greg announced "I've already eaten a croissant and three burritos." They seemed astonished and then told him he should stop. This is when the nicknames "Puma" and "Pumba" became interchangeable depending on the moment.


When we realized someone could sit on the front, our day was made. That is the way to go white-water rafting! 



Playing a game where essentially you all get knocked off the raft. But it looks cool.


Taking turns in the front. Seriously. It never got old.


At some point, I was knocked off the raft, supposedly by Greg falling on me, and ended up UNDER the raft. It's all a blur, really. Alisha freaked out on top of the raft trying to make it clear that I was under the raft while I calmly pushed myself back to air.

Ok, I panicked for a second thinking I was caught in some current and tried to remember what they told us to do (curl up in a ball) before I realized that I was actually bumping up against the raft and found my way out from under.



We successfully threw our guide out! He earned it after pushing all of us out, individually, at least once AND throwing a tarantula into the raft. Twice. It gets real when there's a tarantula in the raft.





Sand art.


Our guides were awesome. Looooooved them. They were funny and joked with us the whole time. We just laughed for six straight hours. Two of them were married to each other and adorable. I think it almost inspired Alisha to find an Ecuadorian husband. Especially one with kayaking skills.

Wink wink, Alisha.


Photo op in the waterfall.



The white-water rafting trip ended late afternoon so we had time to relax in the balcony hammocks and read and nap. Or, if you preferred, there was also a psycho kitty who was more than willing to attack.


He cut my eye! Unprovoked! Only strike against Limoncocha.

This concludes my transmissions for today. EXCEPT GUESS WHO I GOT TO LISTEN TO THIS MORNING.

Eileen Collins!

First female shuttle commander Eileen Collins.

She's on the USAA board of directors and obviously my favoritest board member (because who I favor matters) and I've been wanting her to speak for forever and the day finally came. She spoke for about two hours and I never once got distracted. Can you believe it?? That rarely happens.

Did you know she used to keep shuttle system manuals strategically placed so she could study if any time presented itself? Places like her car and purse and the STROLLER. She'd be pushing her babies around and studying the shuttle hydraulic system at the same time. Want to have a casual conversation with her at the park? Oh, just let her put down a bit of light-reading on the procedures of re-entry.

I mean, I'm never going to be able to compete with that level of coolness!

Then she mentioned how her running time was sacred and when she comes up with her best ideas and I probably literally had hearts popping out of my eyes.

What if I started playing the electric guitar? And was really good. Would that be kind of as cool?

Have a great day :-)


No comments: