Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Kyoo 166 - DC Three

Narrated photographic highlights (in no particular order) from Day 3 in Washington DC:


I thought this was kind of funny when I first read the title. But then I did some research and realized that the song's lyrics share some pretty serious points about the atomic bomb's potential power. But still, the title's creative. And I can totally see one of my roommates swing dancing her heart out to it.


Is it just me or does this vase have Mushu on it?


Much to the delight of my father (see photo below), there was an entire exhibition hall at the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History dedicated to the wonders of soil (in the most vague terms, he's a soil research scientist). This was a particular sign that caught my eye and had me singing a certain Tina Turner song throughout the rest of the museum. Except, I wasn't asking about love...


I love my dad! And he loves his soil! And who wouldn't when it's the skin of the earth?!?!?!


I think Morgie pulled the look off better than I did. My eyes are opened too wide.


The mushroom cloud cake! Made for Eisenhower to celebrate the successful atomic bomb tests. Not sure how I feel about this. I'd say it was a pretty good candidate for Cake Wrecks, but it is a convincing mushroom cloud...hm. Maybe it should be in a category all it's own.


Michelangelo on display! I was getting really tired in this never-ending museum but seeing this around the corner perked me right up!


Naturally we just had to see how "dangerous" the drop off really was. Consensus? Yes. Any object seated on top of that fence definitely had some potential energy.


"Get in muh belleh!" I couldn't resist...

My favorite number!

As you can probable tell, the day involved lots of museuming. Yes, I just verbbed museum. And my browser is not liking any of these new words. Anyways....ah! Those stupid red underlines are annoying me! Wait for it.......ha! "museuming" and "verbbed" are officially words in my browser. I can focus again.

We went to the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History and the Smithsonian Museum of American History. LOTS of amazing stuff to behold in both. Some of the highlights: the Hope diamond, the original "Star-Spangled Banner", Alan Sheppard's Mercury spacesuit, an 1840s French Horn, a giant squid, various early presidential artifacts, dinosaur bones, and Egyptian mummies!

We were pretty tired at the end of the day. My dad was a champ. Morgie and I, not so much. Our feet were hating us from all the standing and walking. Lets just say we started watching a lot more of the movie exhibits towards the end of the day. And none of them were quite long enough. And I can pretty much tell you were every bench in that last museum is.

But I still loved it!

Have a great day :)


1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Sounds like you had a great day! Have I ever told you that my dad works in Ag. Science? And that soil is one of HIS favorite things, too? In fact, he always becomes deeply offended if we refer to soil as "dirt", and proceeded to lecture us on the subject while we rolled our eyes. Now we just do it on purpose to get him all agitated. Hehe.

And, in the words of Calvin: "Verbing weirds language". :)