Sunday, January 30, 2011

Kyoo 181 - Green Balloons

It's been about four months again...time for a blog update!

My birthday was last Thursday and, despite it being a work day, I rather enjoyed it. My boy (who from here on out will be referred to as Squishy) earned some boyfriend points.

The inner child in me buzzed awake at 5:55 am. Incredible. I'm usually dead to the world until my alarm starts resuscitating life at 7 am. But it was my birthday! Quick look at the phone and there were already 12 text messages and 5 missed phone calls. Good thing past birthdays have taught me to flip that precious little "silent" switch. I started sifting through them when the following came through:

Jan 27, 2011 6:22 - from Squishy
"Happy birthday! I love you"

Typical. I was expecting that one.

Jan 27, 2011 6:23 - from Squishy
"Go to your car"

Not typical. I was not expecting that one. But it was so cold outside! I tried to ignore it for a little while...

Jan 27, 2011 6:25 - from Squishy
"Hurry. I am afraid they will fall because it is cold."

Dang it. My curiosity had been piqued. There was no more ignoring it. I crawled out of bed, bundled up in sweats and a hoodie, threw on my trusty moccasins, and set out to rescue whatever was about to fall. I made it down to my kitchen door when....



BALLOONS!

I was kind of scared at first because I could see out my kitchen window that my motion-sensor light had been triggered and my first thought was "Who's in my yard??". Seconds later I saw the balloons dancing around in the breeze and put two and two together.

I wish I would have snapped a picture of the set-up. Squishy had blown up a good dozen or two green balloons, tied them off with different colors of green ribbon, and attached them to my car and doorstep. I dutifully rescued them from the cold and had them accompany me about the house as I got ready for work. Nothing like a few balloons to make you feel like a kid again. Especially when you just hit your mid-twenties. Which lead right into your late-twenties. Which lead right into your thirties. Which lead right into...retirement?

Just kidding! I'm not complaining about my age yet :)

But I did love my surprise balloons. And like I said, Squishy earned some serious boyfriend points. And those never hurt. I might just remember this the next time he bites the curl off the top of my Dairy Queen cone...

Have a great day :)


No comments: