Monday, March 14, 2011

Kyoo 192 - Rockport Weekend

Whoop-whooping crane...strut!

It's quickly becoming a tradition.  Second weekend in March = Whooping Crane Strut = Camping at Goose Island State Park = Weekend in Rockport.

And I love every minute of it.

Best part was, we planned this weekend a whole 3 WEEKS in advance.  That's almost unheard of (we're pretty spontaneous people...mostly because we have commitment issues...)  Scary thing is we're already planning on next year!  If we stick to it, we might just have a record.  Will we get married any time soon?  Probably not.  But I think committing to weekend plans is a step in the right direction for me and mis amigas...

What does a weekend in Rockport entail?

I'm glad you asked.

First, it involves piling in a small car (go Casper!) with all your camping gear and a couple close friends:


These close friends must be willing to make fools of themselves...for the camera:


These friends also must be willing to wait for long periods of time while you fumble with your keys and mumble something about needing to replace the battery in your remote clicker unlock thing (I don't know if that will ever be priority on the pesky to-do list...).


Only the finest accommodations will do for this weekend.  Love me my tent!  (however, I do not love waking up the last morning and realizing that the dew point was reached and I have a wet tent to pack up).  (very messy).  (and then I have to let it sit out and dry for days on my tiny back patio).  (and trip over it when I step out the back door and forget it's there).

But I still love my tent.

 

There is cooking on this Rockport weekend trip:


Delicacies like dutch oven enchiladas (favorite!):


And cherry peach cobber (also favorite!):

Of course a trip to Goose Island State Park wouldn't be complete without visiting the "Big Tree"!

It's a coastal Live Oak estimated to be over 1,000 years old!  And it looks it.  There are all these metal supports and thick wires supporting the thing.  But I guess if I had a circumference of 35 feet, a "crown spread" (take that as you will...) of 90 feet, and was 44 feet high, I might need some help standing as well.  (take my word for it, the tree looks much bigger in person.  and for surviving that long just off the beach, it's pretty impressive).

Lying out and tanning on one of the cleanest beaches in Texas?  Yes, I think we will.  Not only is this a good time to relax and rest aching running muscles, it's a really good time to scroll through your facebook newsfeed and read about everyone hating winter where they live (*gloating smile*).


Souvenir shopping is a must as there are so many fun shops such as this one:


And who can resist a $2.99 mysterious grab bag deal??


Not us!  (look close and you'll see our tight sticker jewel earrings.  remember those from elementary school??)

Did I mention I got 4th overall and 3rd in my age group in the Whooping Crane Strut 10k?  Word.  You better believe I sported my cheesy medal all day:


Funny story here is that I literally choked during the race.  I was with the first and second runners for the last mile and a half or so...right up until the last drink station less than a half-mile from the finish.  I still haven't mastered the whole "running and drinking at the same time" thing and I managed to swallow a big gulp down the wrong pipe.  A coughing fit later and I was a few too many seconds behind the winners.  (but lets get real, even if I had stayed with them...they would have sprinted at the end and still beat me...I have no kick).

Speaking of sporting cheesy "accessories", I also wore my nifty survival bracelet all weekend.  I love this thing!  It makes me feel cool (and I made it all by myself using an Internet tutorial!):


How does one end this crazy weekend?


By chillin' on a pier watching the sun set over the ocean!  (please notice the super cool walmart aviators and coordinating bandannas).  (they're a must).

Sun set?


Yeah.  It was about like that.  Only even better in person.


Ugh.  Is the weekend over already??


Time to roll up your super comfy sleeping mat and pack it away for next time!

Back to work.

Have a great day :)


1 comment:

Alisha said...

I can't believe you posted that last picture!! HY!!