Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Yoo 264 - Marshmallows can go bad

Lest you make the same mistakes I made...realize that, for all rice crispy-making intents and purposes, marshmallows can go bad!!

The first batch I thought I just burned because of inattention. (not that I would ever just leave something cooking on the stove and disappear from the kitchen for an hour...).

It met the trash can. (as do you). (i know you wanted to see a picture of my trash).


The second batch though, oh I watched that batch like a hawk. I vigilantly stood there and stirred and watched and stirred and watched those marshmallows! And do you know what happened? Nothing. Those marshmallows would. not. melt. There were pools of butter in between the gloopy morsels somewhat unsuccessfully clumping together.

It wasn't pretty. And it smelled like onions. Question mark?


I was devastated! Never before, in all my many years of rice-crispy-making, have I failed that bad! And for my birthday even! Ok, lets get real, I wasn't that dramatic about it. (maybe a little). But I tried to come up with reasons why my marshmallows refused to melt and I'm pretty sure it has something to do with that package expiring in June...of last year...

Fingers crossed there are rice crispy treats in the birthday package the Kyoo mom just sent me!  Or I'm going to get desperate...and might whip out the corn syrup version of the recipe.  Eek. (or buy fresh marshmallows, I guess).

So that was my first fail last night. My second fail? Oh, you know, maybe sending a sappy email to the WRONG GREG in my address book?

Yeah, that was a fail.

The email went a little something like this:

Greglover,

{sappy introduction}

{tossing around of the 'L' word a bit}

{
- detailed
- shopping
- list
- for
- camping
- this
- weekend
}

"We're not going to starve!"

{sappy closing}

{Love, Your Love maybe?}

Teagan

I didn't realize my mistake until we were walking around the Wal-Mart later and I was getting real frustrated with the Gregshopper when he couldn't find the email that I'd sent him.

"I sent it like two hours ago! What is wrong with your phone??"

(classic Kyoo). (immediately assume the highly unlikely is at fault).

I started searching through my "Sent Items" email folder and ALMOST DIED when I saw that email was sent to a Greg J instead of my Greg H.

"I've made a big mistake!"

Greg J is a really good college friend, and it would be a lie to say I didn't kind of love him and his brilliant smile and infectious laugh back then. And he's still single now. Which maybe made that less mortifying? Maybe not...

Either way, I spent the rest of that Wal-Mart trip following the Gregman from aisle to aisle whilst staring at my fingers frantically typing a "Please disregard this email...can we just laugh and pretend it didn't happen?" note on my phone.

It could have been worse than it was. I mean, I think I sent it to an old email account and Greg J won't actually see it.

BUT STILL.

Let's learn from my mistakes. Don't use expired marshmallows to make rice crispy treats. (throw them in a fruit salad maybe?). (or just load up your marshmallow gun...). And TRIPLE CHECK who you are sending your emails to.

That's all. Carry on.

Have a great day :-)


No comments: