Sunday, February 12, 2012

Yoo 279 - Race Recap: Stock Show Stampede

The Gregbeau is turning into a running fanatic these days...let me tell you.

First, he's discovered the "runner's high". He called me some odd day last week and just started GUSHING about a run he'd been on. I almost wet my pants with excitement. It's like we'd connected on new levels.

Second, he attended a 2+ hour symposium on running with me (for date night, I should add) and was almost as enthralled as I was. (i have found my passion...more than two hours of the same presenter and i would have dared you to try to distract me).

Third, we're going to buy running shoes together. At a running store. The Academy won't do anymore. He's been pestering me for weeks. He wants "real" running shoes. It's a date. (actually, he would have gone without me, but i begged him to wait...it just feels like this momentous occasion i should be a part of?).

Fourth, he finished his THIRD official race, and his times just keep getting better. (and the races are getting longer).

Not that he's turning into a bigger, manlier version of over-the-top Kyoo (thank goodness), but I can appreciate that he's been giving it some effort and starting to enjoy running as a healthy, recreational activity.

And lest you think this is a one-sided, manipulative girlfriend act, let me add that I have been my own little reading machine as of late. Like books upon books. (ok, two).

We're good for each other.

But this post isn't about all of that.


So, let's talk Stock Show Stampede! It's a 4-miler near the rodeo. I thought it'd be a good one for the Gregrunner and I to do together. And it is was more than worth it.

Seriously, if you want to experience the rodeo, this is the way to go. For $25 you get:
  • Parking
  • Admission to the rodeo
  • Long-sleeve rodeo T-shirt
  • Breakfast
  • Admission ticket to use at the rodeo another day
  • Jar opener

Oh how excited I was about the jar opener!! Do you know how often I have needed one and had not one to call upon??

Almost as often as I open jars.


(i feel as though my kitchen is official now...and i need to make meatloaf...free seasoning packet!)

What I lacked in excitement for the run I certainly made up for as I sat in the car scavenging thru the goody bag.

It was a cold morning (i think san antonio is getting tired of fighting off winter because february has been on the chilly side) and I wanted to just bury myself in the covers and run in the warmer afternoon. But I had to set some sort of example and not be one of those fair weather runners I dog on.

(fair weather runners: something is right in your head. embrace it)

So we met at the start, huddled together for warmth, and easily settled into a comfortable trot after the national anthem and gun firing.

Did I mention my bib was awesome?


This race has a personal touch, it does.

I had all sorts of pictures to document the event but they were taken on my phone (don'tgetmestarted).

The route was the tiniest bit hilly, a tad off-road, lightly duck-strewn, heavily horse-littered, and well-supported.

I enjoyed exploring a new part of town.

Greg was all-focused on running.

There might have been this time during the race, as the Gregathlete pushed forward with effort and sweat and all things strenuous, that I plodded along slowly beside him singing songs about pancakes and biscuits and other breakfast things being just 3.5/3/2.5/2/1.5/1.25/1/.75 miles away. (never start a recreational run hungry). And do you know what? He got just a wee bit frustrated and threatened me. THREATENED, people. What did he threaten? Oh, not to trip me or smash my face in a pot of gravy or anything, no. He threatened to stop running! Dang boy knows me too well. I wanted so badly for him to finish I had to run on in silence.

An artist's wings were clipped that day.

But we ran, winding and curving and "Where is breakfast the finish line??" outbursting to a triumphant, arms stretched in the air, end.

And then enjoyed biscuits and gravy and sausage and chips and queso and bananas. And got lost in the carnival trying to find the way back to our cars.

It was a fun race. But I miss my marathons/ultras. I'm itching to start putting on the miles again.

Also, it hailed this morning? Did anyone else notice that?? Weird!

Have a great day :-)


No comments: