Monday, September 24, 2012

Yoo 418 - Pondering Justin Bieber

These texts pretty much sum up my morning:

"Ruined my oatmeal with too much cinnamon."

"I had to buy a taco to compensate. It's been a rough morning."

"Might have to eat a cookie to gain respect for oatmeal again."

But how lucky is the Gregdude to find that play-by-play on his phone? Is what you're thinking.

The rest of the day wasn't too bad, despite what my gnawed-off fingernails would tell you. Typical Monday.


(someone please pinterest that on a "reality" board).

Now let's ponder the Biebs for a moment. Because I no longer need to waste my mental resources on boys nor my Friday nights on dates. Bear with me.

So, Justin Bieber.

Catchy tunes. Cheesy lyrics. Big names. His music sells. Don't judge.

One thing led to another and I found myself jamming to a bit of Biebs Friday afternoon. Most people had left the office so I didn't have to worry about getting caught.

Because head-bobbing to Justin Bieber is not something coworkers just forget about over a weekend. You don't live that one down.

Anyways, there I was, focused on work, when these lyrics caught my attention:

"But, the grass ain't always greener on the other side, it's green where you water it."*

And I thought, now isn't that a bit metaphorical for a pop song? Borderline life-changing, if you have dehydrating tendencies towards your figurative grasses. Or even your literal grasses.

These were my ponderings as I began my evening run. I often run when I have ponderings to ponder (and also, occasionally when i lunch on entirely too much pizza). Unrelated interjection: I feel as though sitting at work for 10 hours makes the warm, golden evening sun far more savory. How it tickles my skin and dances across my face! It's as if my office hours accumulate to buy that kind of solar treat.

But back to my run. There I was, on the part of my path that I like to pretend is Sherwood Forest, when I saw these stagnant pools of water in the grass. Stagnant pools of water, brought on by a summer of drought and a recent weekend of downpour.  Stagnant pools of water that were harboring hundreds of buzzing mosquitoes.

And I thought, what now Bieber??

Obviously there's a fine line between watering your grass and creating a breeding ground for mosquitoes. I think it has something to do with consistency, but it could go so many ways. Maybe he should expound on that in his next song.

Does this not leave you with more to ponder though? Maybe as you "chill by the fire and eat fondue"?

I would elaborate but my pondering was soon interrupted by a near-encounter with a baby rattlesnake. It took me all of .000000482 seconds to remember that baby rattlesnakes come from full-grown rattlesnakes, have brothers and sisters, and are competent and venomous from birth. My run was over after that.

*technically this part of the song was big sean...

Have a great day :-)


No comments: