Sunday, April 3, 2016

Yoo 691 - Camping at Garner


In January we took advantage of Greg's day off for Martin Luther King day and made a weekend camping trip to Garner State Park. Pregnancy did not dim my love of camping. Though I will admit that a queen-size air mattress and electricity went miles in making it a super comfortable trip. And I especially loved the cold weather...though my throat would argue otherwise. Breathing in cold, dry air all night gave me quite the cold that lasted well into the following week.

But I'd do it again.

Minus setting up camp in a wind storm. I hate the wind.

My favorite part of the trip was finding out that Greg didn't bring any warm clothes other than a hoodie. No pants or coats, nothing. Because he didn't think it'd be "that cold".

Then it dipped below freezing both nights. He survived. Though something tells me he wasn't as comfortable as he claimed to be.



Bacon-wrapped potatoes in the Dutch oven. It's a winner dinner.


Pups in the tent. He's probably just yawning but I think this is how he feels about the tent always. Like cry howling.



These lemon blueberry biscuits were worth writing home about. They're becoming a camp food staple.



Pups is wondering where his plate of bacon and eggs is...


This is what we call "gator dog". When he sticks his face between the seat and the wall with a big gator grin on his face and starts panting on your arm.

We went to church on Sunday and he spent most of the ride like this. Weirdo. The fun part about going to church was getting ready to go to church. This involved taking a shower in a freezing bathroom and trying not to hate the experience.

I failed.

Though church was worth it. We drove into Uvalde to attend the ward there and I love going to small country wards. Reminds me of home!


And then Roscoe got to fetch in the water and he loved his life.



Twenty-nine weeks.





Sunday afternoon was glorious. We found a patch of river all to ourselves, well away from people, and let Roscoe run and fetch until the sun went down. A slice of heaven.




No burn ban! Camping is so much more fun with fire. Especially when it's cold enough that you can appreciate its warmth.







Roscoe going crazy dog in the morning.


Frosty grass!


Not pictured from the trip: the 1/4 mile hike to the bathroom. Three times every night. At least the stars were abundant and pretty.

Have a great day :-)


No comments: