Thursday, February 9, 2012

Yoo 275 - A Thursday Night

I didn't want to go swimming tonight.

At all.

I sat at work thinking of all the excuses I could possibly fathom.

Tired? Yes, definitely tired. Too much work? Yes, I could put some more hours in. Hungry? That too.

I'd settled in on my decision to put off the swim training until next week when the Gregmotivator stepped in.

"You need to be ready for the Ironman."

That's all the text said. Last time I inform him of my plans to skip a workout! Kidding...it was just what I needed to hear. I shoved my excuses back in the pity bag and set off to the pool. Where I swam until they kicked me out 1.5 miles later.

And thought about this Ironman. I'm excited for it. I predict it'll go one of two ways:

1) It'll be hard and I'll probably hate it and wish it was over while I'm doing it. (in between loving it and feeling so cool and awing at the scenery, of course). But fulfill a dream and pack that up in my box of memories and experiences at the end.

Or

2) I'll find my limit and have to drop out. But at least I'll know that limit, know what to do different next time, and be better for it.

I guess I could die trying? (maybe there is an option 3). But we all die from something and that's not the worst way you could go, right?

I'm kidding mom!

The suspense is already building for August!

After the swim though, I found myself in the most random and unexplainable of depressed moods and somehow ended up wandering aisles of the Wal-mart in the most aimless of ways. Does that ever happen to you? No? Well, then I'm a lonely victim.

I texted the Alishafriend about the potential catastrophe and instructed her to stage an intervention if I hadn't come out in an hour. (she knows all about the depressed Wal-mart trips).

I think what saved me with this one was, that instead of ending up in the toy aisle, I was strangely drawn to cosmetics. (there were so many colors!) And I feel like a lost child in the cosmetics department. I knew if I bought anything, I'd only have the guts to wear it in my closet whilst making goofy faces in the mirror. (whereas i have no inhibitions when it comes to buying toys, you see).

I might still be there had the Alishafriend not brought me out of a trance induced by bright red lipstick with a text informing me that, as is so common in our friendship, we were on the same, lowly, depressed page.

Except she was lost among aisles of the Michaels. With a cart full of buttons.

You do not ask for explanations on these such trips. You just smile and nod consolingly. And follow the voices.

So, to make a long story short, we followed those voices all right. Those spontaneous, adventure-finding, try something new, want to break free from the monotony of daily life voices. And we dove in.


Mustache first, of course.

Have a great day :-)


No comments: