Monday, March 5, 2012

Yoo 296 - To The Kyoo Mom

...on her birthday.

 Let's talk Kyoo Mom for a bit.


(far right...squatting next to all the beautiful people she helped make...and shadow's bum).

Now, if she were here she'd be cowering down trying to hide because she's not a huge lover of attention and praise being diverted her direction. (in fact she might have just stopped reading this blog post...)

I think she passed that on to me.

But, since she's not here, I can gush away.

First, can we start with a story? I'll just lay it all out. I'm a horrible daughter. A month ago, as I was combing the card aisle for the Kyoo dad's birthday (i won't even mention how late i was for that one...), I found the perfect card for the Kyoo mom from the Kyoo.

And I bought it. So happy was I to be prepared a month in advance!

But, today snuck up on me as it always does, and I realized that card was still safely filed away in my "Cards" folder.

"Oh fiddlesticks!" I said this morning, in grand Kyoo Grameez fashion.

No card, and I'd also failed to get my birthday present off to her as well. But that's a little more complicated.

So, I composed an exciting text to acknowledge her day, and do you know how she responded?? I was pretty much disowned as her daughter.

(not really but it adds dramatic flair to the story...keep reading).

And then. Then! Then the  Gregsuckup goes all sweet and wishes her a grand day, and how does she respond?

"Well thank you, Greg. I just received my birthday apology from Teagan, so my day is going as expected. ;)"

As expected?? Wink face?!

Well let's pick favorites here.

I let that one go, because I probably deserved it. But let me just say that this isn't the first time the Gregsuckup and Kyoo mom have teamed up against me. There was a certain Apples to Apples incident (actually, two) wherein...well, never mind. We best not get started on this one. Just know they had a thing going and I did not approve!

Tangent over, back to just the Kyoo mom.

Did you know she becomes the most elusive creature the second a camera is pulled out? But, just like on the Discovery channel, good photographers can get a few hidden "money" shots. Here are a few I've snagged.


The Kyoo mom planning dinner.


The Kyoo mom practicing the piano. (she's a great pianist, though she will never admit it. how nice is it to grow up in a home with live piano music floating thru the air? blissful. my poor kids will only get to hear me groaning away on that horn.)


The Kyoo mom collecting trash so the Kyoo dad doesn't have a hernia on Christmas morning.

(i really, so desperately, wanted to also post my "the kyoo mom and home security" shot...but i think that one's best kept in the family...)

Growing up with the Kyoo mom was pretty cool. I mean, she could make up songs on the spot. And groove to them. Her musical taste was kind of eclectic, I think. For instance, I heard a lot of Garth Brooks as a child. And the Osmond's. (she had a not-so-secret crush on donny "as a kid"...). And, it might not have been her most favorite song, but she was a fan of "Walking on Broken Glass" by Annie Lennox. Like, this song. Oh was it ever an exciting time when we heard that on the radio! So exciting, I can remember at least 3 specific instances where we heard/jammed out to it 1) in a grocery store 2) at a skating rink and 3) in the van. People, this song was like a golden ticket. We all got excited every time it came on.

To this day, I cannot hear that song without my ears perking up and I still have to stifle my initial reaction to emphatically turn to my mom and announce that "Broken Glass is playing!".

It shaped me as a child.

Also shaping me as a child was the fine literature she introduced to me, such as Tacky the Penguin and Little Critter and Berenstain Bears (and also "a fish out of water" just popped into memory...i named a gold fish after otto!). Story time was the bomb.com at our house.

What else can I say about the Kyoo mom? Um, I could say a million positive and glorious and funny things about the Kyoo mom! I could talk about how she's the shining example of health and physical fitness and how she has the most empathetic heart and how she's taught each of here kids seminary and how she makes it to all the ball games and hosts all sorts of team dinners and track breakfasts and is so good at budgeting/managing finances that I think Dave Ramsey would be jealous. But it would take all day and your eyes might start to roll in the back of your head whilst you're thinking "Yeah yeah yeah Kyoo, we all love our mom and think she's the greatest ever".

So I'll save all those gushers for the card I'm about to send off and just say HAPPY BIRTHDAY KYOO MOM!

You're like the best listener/phone buddy ever so can I still be your daughter??

Have a great day :-)


No comments: