Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Yoo 302 - Race Recap: Whooping Crane Strut

Whoop! Whoop! Whooping Crane...STRUT!

Race Recap (reader's digest version): I slept in a car trunk and then ran my way to a personal record 10k time of 46:10 and first in my age group (second in women). Also of note, the Gregrunner finished second in his age group (i'm leaving it at that!) with no permanent injuries, and the Alisharunner came in age group third (actually beating people).


The version to read if you're the Kyoo mom or bored (synonymous with "at work").

This race is one of my favorites! But, as favorite as it ranks, it took a lot of effort to go this year. For one it was rainy. For two it was a Friday (work draaaaaiiiinnnn). For three I didn't want to pack and drive all the ways down to Rockport. For four I was being seduced by the dreamy notion of burrowing in my living room whilst movie watching the rainstorm away.

But, if I've learned anything in my twenty-something years, it's that, usually (i said usually) when something requires the most activation energy and I can find a million reasons to not do it, it's usually (usually) the best kind of something to get doing.

I knew this was going to be the case.

So the car got packed and a few pouches of fruit snacks got eaten and the kitchen got cleaned and the Garmin got its beacons all set on Goose Island State Park.

And then the Gregdriver went hydroplaning and windshield wiping into the storms while I basked in the paparazzi lightning flashes and the Alishafriend entertained me with "You Again" on the iPad. (and occasionally i would rub the gregdriver's neck because he was feeling a bit ignored and a tad bitter that he had to drive while mother nature took my picture and kristen bell made me laugh).

He's a trooper, that dude of mine.


(but really this picture had to be posted)

Then an almost quizzical "I want steak?" from the Alishafriend became an "I WANT STEAK!" demand that the Gregivore echoed and, well, steak.



(pop's, where the food is served sans armpit in the face...at least today. tomorrow is another story?)

Of course I acted all "I can't eat this late at night I have a race in the morning" but really, it was because I'd wolfed down three (3!) bowls of cheerios/granola in the car and that's the truth about that.

It was quite late and misty when we finally rolled up to our campsite and, sufficeth me to say, we decided to forgo the tent. To sleep in the trunk.


Ok, half in the trunk, half in the back seat. If I had experience, I would dare-say it felt just like a coffin. Especially since the lady hips were all "no we are not small enough to fit in that space on your side". But at least the Alishapal and I were horizontal. The Gregsnoozer on the other hand was quite upright in the front seat. But he didn't have to wander off on forbidden roads to use the bathroom (twice) so I think it was fair.

I wish that was the most eventful event preceding this run, but unfortunately the Casper car decided it was low on battery juices as we were trying to leave for the race early morn and that sent us all on a "whose awake and looking helpful" warm-up jog around the camp. The best part was the Gregmechanic's look when I walked out of the bathroom to discover him buried under the hood of the Casper car. I'm sure he was thinking "and she's going to explode in 3...2...1....". However I handled the news like a jovial old chap and that just proves I can keep people on their toes now doesn't it?

Also, maybe I'm improving? Doubtful.

Moving on.

We made it to the race start. The shirts were teal green! (this race seriously has the best shirt colors. never dull gray or boring white). And the race sponsors were rockin' this year. And by rockin' I mean, any time I get free GU packets in my schwag bag, it's a party.

The weather was a bit chilly and very overcast but no rain and the wind was manageable. I was pleasantly surprised with the conditions considering the depressing forecast (the cloud + lightning bolt + 1000 rain drops picture)!

Posin' like goofballs at the start (with random #65).


But this is really what we were trying to get a picture of.


Maybe there was a reason for it...who am I to judge? Personally, I think it seems even more dangerous to pin to that area...

(ps it was really hard to nonchalantly take that picture...)

The race started, I jogged out at a comfortable pace, and just kept going. Theory behind all my runs, right? Right. One of the main reasons I love this race so much is the course. It's run entirely next to the shoreline and you get a taste of Rockport's eclectic beach shops, the harbor with its boats and docks and bait shops, and the little hotels and vacation homes with their palm trees and lazy fishing piers. Also there are whooping cranes and seagulls and sometimes fish to cheer you on!


It's a small race but so enjoyable. You hardly notice you're running! (though don't ask the Gregtrekker, he might not agree...).


I spent the last half of the race trying to spread cheer to those I passed and pushing myself as my body allowed. I ran this race without a watch or iPod and sometimes that's just the best. Nothing to distract you from listening to your body and just enjoying the run. Pace? Who cares?! Distance traveled? I'll finish eventually! Race soundtrack? Ok, I did miss my playlist. But sometimes I think runners get too caught up in what their devices are telling them and don't just listen to their bodies and remember what it is they enjoy about this sport.

I was running with two healthy, strong legs next to a beautiful coast with handfuls of other folk pushing just as hard and I was able to take it all in.

I love that.

The finish was great because I was going just fast enough to challenge the man I'd tailed the whole race and just slow enough to NOT induce vomiting.

All in all, with a new personal record and a win in my age group, I declared it a success.


There was some post-race grubbing. And then an awards ceremony with cheesy picture-taking. And then a very depressing raffle drawing as both the Alishafriend and I set our hearts on each new prize. Even going so far as to declare it already our own. And then they would call out 10 names of people that weren't there and finally a small child would walk away with our snabbed treasure.

There's only so much of that a person can take...




(what is my hair doing?? the world will never know...)

Should I have advised you to bring crackers for all this cheesiness? Yes?

Well grab some, because we went on an official plate photo shoot after the race. It's tradish.




(would sure be nice to have a cool trophy case to display that on...hint hint...#kyoodadandbrother)

Here's to another year at Whooping Crane and hopefully many more to come! Sure glad I was able to share it with the Alishapal and Gregbeau and elusive Tinafriend, among others. Next year? Next year.

(and, if you're still bored, you can always travel back to yesteryear...)

Have a great day :-)


No comments: