Sunday, May 31, 2015

Yoo 668 - AC Woes


The air conditioning problem that manifested itself right as I was fixing the washer problem is finally fixed! Here's the story.

This all started a few weeks ago when Greg broke the "No AC until June" rule (loosely enforced) and turned on the AC. While I was washing our clothes in the kitchen sink because the washer was broke. Shortly after the AC came on, we both smelled burning. It was bad. We shut off the thermostat but the fan stayed on and eventually we had to kill the breaker to the unit so we didn't run the fan all night.

Then the weather cooled off so it was easy to stay alive and we procrastinated fixing it. For three weeks.

It warmed up a bit two Tuesdays ago so I tried turning the AC back on to cool the house off before I went to work. Except I left for work and forgot to turn it off. Five hours later I walked into a furnace. The thermostat said 96 degrees! 

Obviously something was not working properly.

So that Friday I got serious about fixing the problem and spent an hour running between Google and the compressor trying to self-diagnose. That went no where.

The following Wednesday morning we finally admitted defeat and called a repair guy. Mostly because my mom and sister were coming into town that night and it was getting hot. The repair guy came over and spent two hours trying to figure out what was going on. I was uber thankful when he ruled out the condenser! I'd already imagined a worse-case scenario that was going to cost me at least five grand.

Eventually the diagnosis came in: a piece had melted on the circuit board that was causing the AC and heater to run simultaneously (the furnace was winning). Definitely not something I would have figured out on my own and clearly a problem. They tried to fix it but didn't have the part so they just disabled the wire to the furnace as a temporary solution.

Cool air again!

A couple more days passed and they were back with the part. A couple more hours passed and voila! I have a working AC! I'm so thankful to have a working AC.

Also, my voice mail is bad...might not be the best way to reach me:


And the forecast recently:


Tons of rain. We got out of the temple a couple weeks ago and I had a message from USAA informing me that our house had been in a tornado warning. BUT OUR DOG! We got home as quickly as we could through rain sheets and flooding streets. And everything was fine.

That's all.

Have a great day :-)


No comments: