Monday, August 3, 2015

Yoo 677 - Estes Park Family Reunion, Pt 2


This day of the reunion brought a morning rafting trip and an afternoon drive/hike along the Peak to Peak highway. It might have also brought Aunt Mary Ann's biscuits and gravy for breakfast. Her cooking the whole week just mocked self-control.

We met at the outfitters at 8:30 am and stood around for ages, praying the temperature got warmer. It wasn't a Texas furnace outside so I never did get to the point where I wanted an icy cold rapid to splash me. But it wasn't as shocking as I was expecting. Everyone had a lot of fun and it was a highlight of the trip.


"Mad Dog", our guide. He asked us on a scale of 1-10 how exciting of a trip we wanted and I quickly blurted out "NINE". Meaning, everyone falls out of the boat except for me.

In the end no one fell out of the boat but it was a good ride.


Practicing our paddling.



Adam and I sat up front and were supposed to look at each other to coordinate each paddle so the rest of the group would be in sync but we weren't the best at it...








Adam really hit it with the facial expressions. He was 95% of the reason we bought some of their pictures.


Like this one.



I think this was after "Sonic Boom". It didn't look like much until you hit it and ended up on top of each other. They warned us about knocking teeth out with the paddles and I couldn't get that horrific thought out of my mind...


We survived!

I didn't feel cold while rafting, but sitting in wet clothes for the 45-minute bus ride back chilled me to the core. Everyone made fun of me walking around in my hooded down jacket after but I honestly could not take that thing off for a couple hours.



Lily Lake.








Funny story. I was hiking behind my mom when all of a sudden she went into her snake dance: jumping up and down, arms firmly planted at her side, yelling "SNAKE SNAKE SNAKE". I froze and then I saw the snake. It was at least four feet long and as thick as a healthy man's forearm.

Mom, don't read this part.

Ok, the snake was really about the size of a pencil. A small pencil.

Mom, you can read again.

It slithered right off the trail and we continued on but I don't think either of us enjoyed the trip quite as much once realizing that snake sightings were a possibility. Having to keep your eyes plastered on the trail and immediate surround makes it harder to stare at the grandeur of the mountains.








I thought this shirt was so appropriate for my dad but he just rolled his eyes.


An evening walk, which we convinced Adam to go on with promises of elk sightings. Only there were no elk. Brynnan told me about the "vacationator".  We both kept racing to not be at the back because that's the first person to be eaten by mountain lions. And Adam fake flipping me off for taking a picture.

Have a great day :-)


No comments: