Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Yoo 710 - Nebraska Update


I'm still in Nebraska and still not ready to leave anytime soon. The whole family is here again. Well, minus Adam who just gallivanted off to Idaho. But for a few days the whole family was reunited and it was so fun to have everyone under the same roof. I love Nebraska and the lazy days and thunderstorms and number of riding lawn mowers and golf carts that grace the "city" streets and watching the corn pop up and country roads and sitting on the porch swing and everything else that's great and good about the Heartland.

I do not, however, love the garter snakes. But I guess life can't be perfect.

So in no particular order, the update.

It's Jordan's birthday today and we got an Eileen's cookie over the weekend to celebrate. I shouldn't like a frosted chocolate-chip cookie as much as I do but their frosting is intoxicating. I think it's almond extract and it kills my self control. Plus the colors! It was the prettiest Eileen's cookie yet.



Fueled by the Eileen's cookie, we did a team Crossfit workout on Saturday morning. It involved running a 1.25 mile relay, followed by taking turns to complete 125 pull-ups (with a giant rubber band...), then 250 45lb push presses and 375 reverse lunges with a 25lb kettle bell. Then back down the ladder with 250 push presses, 125 pull-ups, and another 1.25 mile relay. The real workout was trying to control our laughing fits long enough to execute any reps. With all of us together, someone was always saying something funny.

Morgan's half pull-up reps.

Adam getting intimate with the pull-up assist band. "Whoa! That's not where I wanted that to go!"

Trying to convince Jordan to join us by downplaying the amount of running involved. "Just run around the block once...twice."

Using pups as the baton for the running relay. Easy way to get a couple miles on his paws.

And Dylan and I getting real serious about pushing to finish the workout in an hour at about the 46 minute mark. Skylar came out to cheer us on as we made it.

It was too fun. Good intentions, we're going to make a tradition of it every time we're all at home. This will probably last about as long as our other traditions.






Skylar and grandpa, having a conversation. This kid just gets cuter and more fun everyday. I miss her newborn days so much I want to cry, but then she looks at me with her bright eyes and busts out her smile and my brain just shuts down because it can't process that much emotion. AND HER COOS. I have to still be on my baby honeymoon because I can't get enough of her. Even when she has gas and I have to bounce on the exercise ball while massaging her back for an hour.


And her crazy hair. It's straight up all the time. I can't even get half of it to stay down when I comb it with water. She has very determined strands.




This photo is all weird and blurry, but that bubble though. She's got skills.



We're waffling all our sandwiches.


Roscoe, as Greg was packing to leave. He acts like he's super sad.


And then Roscoe about an hour after Greg left, taking up his half of the bed.


He's such a spoiled dog that he gets mad when he has to sit outside and dry after he's gone swimming in the ditches. Stands out there and barks incessantly.



The corn literally popped up over night. It might be growing faster than my daughter. MIGHT.




Walks on the country roads never get old. This was a particularly perfect evening with NO WIND.


And then Sunday evening with a thunderstorm in the distance. Keep on keeping on, Nebraska.

Have a great day :-)


No comments: