Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Yoo 268 - Rocks and rice crispies


The kitchen fails continued last week with yet another attempt at rice crispies. With corn syrup and peanut butter this time.

After the marshmallow disaster I thought that would be foolproof.

I'm so naive.

Corn syrup is also used to make treats like, oh, I don't know, HARD candies maybe?

Yeah.

I cooked the corn syrup and sugar too long. And didn't realize this until the next morning when I almost ripped skin off my fingers trying to get one out of the pan. And then had to gnaw on it for the next two hours, chipping off one tiny piece at a time, while running on Friday. Maybe it was effective to spread the energy consumption out that long?

(I'll be funding those vacations for my dentist/orthodontist one pan at a time, yep).

I took the rice crispies camping (survival food) and they didn't get touched. I should have brought them on our hike to the falls to skip them across the river like the rocks that they were.

But I forgot.

So instead, on the way home, when the Gregman and I were feeling real hungry after stake conference, we busted them out (literally) to give them another try. It took a key and some heavy prying with the fingers to get one loose. But we giggled through those efforts and eagerly started gnawing away on our pieces.

This is about when I turned to him with a smile and said "You know, this is kind of fun." (referring more to our drive and the beautiful day and the music playing on the radio than the rice-crispy-eating endeavor).

And, without missing a beat, the Gregpica exclaims "Yeah! How often do you get to eat rocks??"

There you have it.

In a weak defense for those rice crispies, they were actually kind of chewy and still tasted delicious once you got a piece loose and broke a small chunk off. But it took waaay too much effort and made your teeth sore. So, after the urgings of some, I have adopted a new cardinal rule regarding rice crispies:

ALWAYS eat ALL of them while they are still warm and chewy.

No more rice crispies left behind!

Have a great day :-)


1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Such an important life lesson. :)